Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:25:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to copy packages-4.6.2-release tree to packages-4-stable ?

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> The packages in packages-4.6.2-release are much newer than those in
> packages-4-stable.  Do people prefer I do:
>
> 1. rm -rf packages-4-stable
>    cp -rp packages-4.6.2-release packages-4-stable
>
> 2. [hard] link every file in packages-4.6.2-release into
>    packages-4-stable
>
> 3. rm -rf packages-4-stable
>    ln -s packages-4.6.2-release packages-4-stable

personally yes, for now.  except why can't you do:

mv packages-4-stable .p4stable.old
ln -s packages-4.6.2-release packages-4-stable
rm -rf .p4stable.old

this way any mirrors automatically getting that whole tree (i cannot
afford this anymore - it's got way too many issues which break stuff
for us) will NOT have to refetch an entire tree and will just delete
about 5G of stuff.

in the future when you break 4-stable back out (maybe) they will have
to refetch the binaries, but that would have been necessary anyway
with a new build...)

in short, please please consider doing this.

regards,

-jason