Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:51:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall alpha problems...

--------------Boundary-00=_GTXW0ZNZ5BZNTT4D7TH0

> Ok, first make sure that your machine is running a -current
> kernel.

FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Oct 31 01:54:22 EST 2002
    root@alpha.interchange.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BOATANCHOR
Preloaded elf kernel "/boot/kernel/kernel" at 0xfffffc000069a000.
AlphaServer 4100
AlphaServer 1200 5/533 4MB, 531MHz
8192 byte page size, 2 processors.
CPU: EV56 (21164A) major=7 minor=2 extensions=0x1<BWX>
OSF PAL rev: 0x4000200020117
real memory  = 266330112 (260088K bytes)
avail memory = 252575744 (246656K bytes)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs

> If it does that, then:
>
> 	add to the src/lib/libdisk/Makefile:
> 		CFLAGS +=	-g
> 	in src/lib/libdisk:
> 		make obj
> 		make depend
> 		make clean
> 		make all install
> 	add to src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/Makefile
> 		CFLAGS +=	-static -g
> 	in src/usr.sbin/sysinstall:
> 		make obj
> 		make depend
> 		make clean
> 		make all install
>
> Now, try again and see if you don't get a more useful core file.

I did all the steps above. The results are probably less helpful but
I'm still game to more instructions.

GDB was hitting its heuristic fence-post trying to load the core file
so I ran the sysinstall in the obj directory since it wasn't
stripped. This may be a bug in gdb that's hiding. Here is what I get
running the non-stripped version.

alpha# gdb -c
sysinstall.core /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/sysinstall
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "alpha-undermydesk-freebsd"...
Core was generated by `sysinstall'.
#0  0x12008f764 in strtoul ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x12008f764 in strtoul ()
#1  0x1200aa000 in tcflow ()
#2  0x120084e40 in strdup ()
#3  0x1200aa000 in tcflow ()
warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding
warning: enclosing function for address 0x1201d6000
This warning occurs if you are debugging a function without any
symbols
(for example, in a stripped executable).  In that case, you may wish
increase the size of the search with the `set heuristic-fence-post'
command.

Otherwise, you told GDB there was a function where there isn't one, or
(more likely) you have encountered a bug in GDB.

I did a quick search for tcflow but I think it's in some other
library that got linked in there.

-Michael