Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2023 13:17:39 -0800
From:      possessor.assizer305@aceecat.org
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving a FreeBSD/X11 keyboard config to Macbook Pro

On Thu, Mar 02, 2023 at 08:40:00AM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> {
> "~q"  = ("insertText:", "@");
> "~a"  = ("insertText:", "á");
> "~A"  = ("insertText:", "Á");
> "~e"  = ("insertText:", "é");
> "~E"  = ("insertText:", "É");
> "~i"  = ("insertText:", "í");
> "~I"  = ("insertText:", "Í");
> "~o"  = ("insertText:", "ó");
> "~O"  = ("insertText:", "Ó");
> "~u"  = ("insertText:", "ú");   /* ú does not work; use ´u which also gives ú */
> "~U"  = ("insertText:", "Ú");
> "~?"  = ("insertText:", "¿");
> "~!"  = ("insertText:", "¡");
> "~<"  = ("insertText:", "«");
> "~>"  = ("insertText:", "»");
>
> "~m"  = ("insertText:", "ñ");   /* ñ not working , why? */
> "~M"  = ("insertText:", "Ñ");   /* Ñ not working , why? */
> }
>

> As said, mostly. Do you have an idea why the above three lines with
> the comments /* ... */ are not working? Btw: The Mac has a German
> keyboard, if this matters. For the ñ and Ñ I use the keys option+m
> or option+M, which works, but is ugly.

My script generates unicode escapes in the position where you have
literal non-ascii encodings. I think mine is the safest way, in fact
the only really safe way. I haven't even tried to use UTF-8 there or
anything like that.  My old brain is too tired to debug this now, but
as a guess your problem is one of encoding.

--
Ian