Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:28:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Clang

> I would see a problem with that -- not because I don't think FreeBSD is
> worth it.  I do, and I think it is worth more than that, in fact.  The

true.

> biggest problem with what you propose, though, is that it would destroy
> the social factors in development of the FreeBSD system that make it what
> it is, and thus destroy FreeBSD itself, as far as I am concerned.

I am not sure, as long as clients would be treated seriously!

> I would have thought that even you should be able to understand that
> without help.
another personal attack? I though i talk with adults.

>> For paying this i would like FreeBSD to be maintained with quality
>> and performance being the only reason, not politics.
>
> Turning it into a commercial enterprise rather than an open source
> project would probably turn it into a project that is driven about 60% by
> corporate politics and 40% by marketing BS, with no room left over for
> quality except as needed to support the minimum credibility its CEO deems
> necessary to support those two concerns.
It depends solely on development team.

For now - as we see - it's decision are driven by money.
But not all users money but few selected large users.

>> must be stopped.
>
> You seem to think this is all about Juniper.  I wonder where you get that

Not JUST juniper.

>> It is only "i hate GNU" type decision.
>
> No, it's not only that.  It's *also* that, and with good reason.  Good
>> I hate too, and in spite of this am against removing gcc and
>> replacing it with much worse product.
>
> "Worse" based on a couple of very narrowly applicable metrics derived

There will be IMHO soon good compiler available. it's highly probable that
pcc would improve a lot, for now it is small, quick but doesn't produce
good code for new CPUs. But it probably will improve.

CLANG is already great bloat, and will be worse.

No amount of money will fix it, actually too much money will hurt.