Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:25:24 +0400
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   [RFC] Enabling IPFIREWALL_FORWARD in run-time

--------------enigCA59115641B47F6217D4A48C

Hi All,

Many years ago i have already proposed this feature, but at that time
several people were against, because as they said, it could affect
performance. Now, when we have high speed network adapters, SMP kernel
and network stack, several locks acquired in the path of each packet,
and i have an ability to test this in the lab.

So, i prepared the patch, that removes IPFIREWALL_FORWARD option from
the kernel and makes this functionality always build-in, but it is
turned off by default and can be enabled via the sysctl(8) variable
net.pfil.forward=3D1.

	http://people.freebsd.org/~ae/pfil_forward.diff

Also we have done some tests with the ixia traffic generator connected
via 10G network adapter. Tests have show that there is no visible
difference, and there is no visible performance degradation.

Any objections?

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov