Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:09:57 -0600
From:      "Jay Austad" <austad@marketwatch.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipsec tunnel

I've set up an ipsec tunnel following the instructions at:
http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipsec-tunnel.php

It sort of works, however, traceroute packets get dropped at the freebsd
routers, and I see pings go through nicely for awhile, then a few
seconds of dropped packets.  gif0 is IP over IP tunneling right?  Has
anyone done a GRE tunnel under BSD, and encrypted it with IPSEC?

How would I go about making a GRE tunnel with FreeBSD?  Would it be
better to encrypt the GRE packets, or the IP packets which are
encapsulated in GRE?

I'm using 4.4-current.

Thanks.

Jay