Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:00:43 -0400
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Michael Grommet <mgrommet@isiar.net>, "'Alejandro Ramirez'" <ales@megared.net.mx>, "'Sheldon Hearn'" <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, "'e l l e :)'" <suzuki@soda.csua.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD install

>> > This takes me to some foreign place where it reads, "Hit A to boot
>> > from a:" so I do that, after sticking in the kern.flp floppy in a.
>>
>> This is also not something I've seen with FreeBSD installs, so it's
>> probably _also_ something specific to your computer.
>
>She must probably has an MBR Manager to support some kind of disk, and this
>manager its the one that shows the "Hit A to boot from a:" thing, so I
>suggest to "Back Up" all the important data of your disk, and try something
>like a:\fdisk /mbr to restore a normal MBR to the disk, and try again.
>
>BTW All the information and the Windos stuff will be lost.

I didn't pay too much attn to the beginning of this thread, but some info
that might help...

I've actually seen a couple of computer (and I forget which BIOS they had)
which in the BIOS under "Boot Sequence" they have something like a "prompt"
option, which offers up what seems to be described: "Press A to boot from A
Drive, C to boot from C drive, etc.".

Also, in Win95 (at least this has been my experience, and I think it's
referenced as well in the multios tutuorial on the freebsd site), fdisk
/mbr does NOT destroy all data on the drive.  fdisk itself does.  fdisk
/mbr only affects the boot record. In previous windows/dos versions (3.1
and before), fdisk /mbr was just as good as fdisk and killing off your
partitions.

Not sure if that helps at all, but maybe it does.

--john