Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:17:22 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <marc.fournier@acadiau.ca>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@navinet.net>
Subject:   Re: Who is running Cyrus IMAPd 1.6.x?

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I asked the maintainer... and though I don't recall the
> exact response (email him, he'll answer you), I know there
> are issues with the changes that Cyrus has implemented, and
> how they went about it.   SASL, PAM, et al, still has a bit
> of work to go through.   Frankly, I think it was a mistake
> to drop the other, simple and reliable, authentication mechanisms.

Personally, I have no problems with them drop'ng the old, just feel that
they haven't adequately provided "work arounds"...I'm stubborn...it took
me a week of trying to find a work around before I even thought about
going with a radiusd solution on the servre to do local auth...

> *shrug*
>
> But that's the gist of it.
>

> _F
>

> On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 12:56:53PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > I'm just curious, but is anyone actually running 1.6.x on a "standalone,
> > no external srver for authentication" machine? I just checked the FreeBSD
> > ports (/usr/ports/mail/cyrus), and its stuck at 1.5.19...so I'm kinda
> > wondering if alot of ppl are avoiding it and sticking with 1.5.x, or if
> > the MAINTAINER just hasn't gotten around to upgrading the port...
> >

> > Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> > Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Marc G. Fournier                                 marc.fournier@acadiau.ca
Senior Systems Administrator                            Acadia University

  "These are my opinions, which are not necessarily shared by my employer"