Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:30:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pb with COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > At Mon, 21 Dec 1998 01:13:24 -0800, you wrote

> > >That's certainly one way of doing it.  You could implement structure
> > >compression by COW off the parent's copy of the struct instead, that'd
> > >be even more efficient.
> >
> > I have been wondering about this... Multithreading is usually used to improve
> > performance. Wouldn't this "on-demand" allocation of shared signals impact of
> > performance?
>
> You typically thread for the concurrency win, and wear the startup cost
> as an overhead that you have to pay back with concurrency.  Given that
> at the moment we're looking at a heavyweight thread implementation,
> this extra allocation is relatively trivial in the scheme of things.

My semester is over, I'm only now starting to catch up on the
interesting stuff on threads ... for scheduling purposes, then, you want
to keep track of how many active threads a threaded process has, and
have the scheduler grab that many cpus when a context switch occurs?

How is the time for the threaded process to be accounted?  I see (for
purposes of scheduler priorities) that either total cputime given,
across all cpus, could be used, if you wanted to keep non-threaded apps
on an even parity with threaded apps.  Alternatively, if you wanted to
give threaded apps a definite win, then you would only keep cpu stats,
perhaps, on a parent thread?

This topic seems to be going on in two lists concurrently (FreeBSD-smp).
I'd think it belongs better in smp, right?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).