Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 07:12:36 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Val <val@hcol.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Colorado T4000 Tape and tape backup in general

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Val wrote:

> > > I had a tape backup sitting next to the computer for a while now.
> > > It is detected on the scsi bus on the startup.
> > > I wasn't using it much because the tar command would take forever to
> > > backup about 2Gb of data, and after about 6-7hours would give some error
> > > message.
> >
> > Which error message?
> Well, i am waiting for it right now(as I said takes forever),

I can't really advise about the error code you report, however the T4000
is a streaming drive and you may find that using a larger blocking factor
helps - the default is 20 IIRC (10kB); I'd suggest start experimenting
with a blocking factor of 64 (32kB; which is what I use with dump on my
T4000).

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia