Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:29:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        justin <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USER PPP

[Wrap text at 72 columns.]

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, justin wrote:

>    What I would like to do right now, however, is guarantee that anytime, anyday, barring a problem with my ISP, that my box is connected to the internet. I have it currently setup to dial the internet when it boots and that seems, so far to work ok. My problem you ask? My ISP implements a 5 minute no transfer policy, they disconnect my connection after 5 minutes of 'idling'. What I would like to do is have some kind of check to verify if I am still connected to the internet and if not, execute it. I was thinking some type of script running from crontab every 5 minutes. If I am not connected, then automatically reconnect to the internet.

Read the ppp(8) manpage and you will discover the -ddial flag which
implements the functionality you have discussed.  It would probably be
more advisable to use the -auto flag though, but that's your own
decision to make.  Read the manpage.

This is really a -questions issue.  Now you know, don't ask questions
like this here again, it's the wrong place for it.  Read the mailing
list charters at:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL
for more information.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying