Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 02:39:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fstat patches

In message <20010508001945.A86617@xor.obsecurity.org> Kris Kennaway writes:
: These are taken from OpenBSD.  Please review: I don't know if the
: setegid() changes actually serve a purpose..can anyone explain it to
: me?

fstat is supposed to run setgid kmem.  I think in FreeBSD the setegid
is a noop for this situation.  Theo is fond of tossing them in.
OpenBSD has slightly different set*id semantics and it would be best
to verify my analysis by checking there.

our setgid says:
     The setgid() function sets the real and effective group IDs and the saved
     set-group-ID of the current process to the specified value.  The setgid()
     function is permitted if the specified ID is equal to the real group ID
     or the effective group ID of the process, or if the effective user ID is
     that of the super user.

Warner