Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:41:19 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM question

On Sat, Mar 14, 1998 at 12:30:08PM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> In article <19980314122132.45239@mcs.net> you wrote:
> >
> > I put CAM into a -CURRENT kernel last night.
> >
> > I like the layer, it seems to have significantly helped performance and
> > general operation of the system.
> >
> > HOWEVER, it immediately broke "systat", even after a rebuild.  It now
> > complains that "dk_ndrive = 0" in the kernel and refuses to allow a "vmstat"
> > display.
> >
> > Since "iostat" works after the rebuild, obviously the stats are THERE.
> > What's missing?
>
> Perhaps the section in the CAM README document that talks about iostat,
> systat, and changes in the way statistics are gathered.
>
> I encourage everyone playing with CAM to read the README document in
> it's entirety since, as Karl found out, it is not a complete work,
> but the areas where it is not complete are documented in the README.
>
> --
> Justin

Weeeeeellll.  I DID read the README, particularly the iostat stuff,
recompiled it, and it *does* work.  That's how I got a feel for the actual
performance in *objective* terms (rather than how fast the system "felt").

The big problem with things like systat is that it completely breaks them
(not just returning no data, but causing them to blow up entirely).

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV