Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:50:13 -0500
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        Isaac Waldron <iwaldron@WPI.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgear cards randomly dying?

I've seen this happen twice with this type of card on a Linux box, but
never under FreeBSD. The problem with the linux box appears to be
related to brownouts - since I put the system on a UPS I haven't see
this problem. It was exactly as you describe. The lights would dim, and
it would simply cease to function. Upon rebooting it was fine.

Isaac Waldron wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.1.1 stable, built on 9/28 from fresh sources.  I have
> a Netgear FA310TX network card which is detected correctly as dc0 and works
> fine, most of the time.
>
> Occasionally, after a week or so of uptime, the card simply stops receiving
> packets from the network.  It's as if the card is getting reset to be down
> without indicating that to the system.  I've tried a `ifconfig` down-up
> cycle several times, but the only thing that seems to work is a reboot.  I'm
> also running a simple firewall using ipfw, if that makes any difference.
>
> This card works fine under windoze, so I don't think it's hardware related.
> Any known issues with this card?
>
> Thanks,
> Isaac Waldron
> iwaldron at wpi dot edu