Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 1995 14:39:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org, jdl@chromatic.com, terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *MORE* FS problems, please fix!

> Paul was already doing this, at least at one time, thoguh it has several
> times gotten to the point of a one parenthesis or otherwise obvious
> change causing the full patch set to be rejected.
>
> I think that the correction of such minor things, especially if the
> review process is to be protracted as it has always been in the past,
> should not require rejecting the full patch set to the author.
>
> With -current, there is no hope of a patch set not based on the idea
> of a CVS merge being "correct" when it touches the system call interfaces
> and all of the underlying file systems.
[...]
> Before anyone goes off on a tear, this means I'm not willing to
> keep patches current over another six week period wherein they are
> constantly going out of date because of changes that don't undergo
> the same level of scrutiny.
terry
If you wish I can give you a login on ref.
ref has a cvs tree that is sync'd with freefall each night..

you can make as many trees as you want off that
and use one for each set of changes..

that way you can be sure your changes are relative to -current
(just do 'cvs update' before the 'cvs diff')
It means that you will have a place to 'stage' your patches
(or alternatively you could get the cvs tree yourself via ctm or sup,
but I already have it set up)

> It is impossible for patches to more than 3-4 files simultaneously
> to be anything *BUT* "out of date" without a CVS merge facility.

which I'm offering

julian