Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 2003 21:51:43 +0800
From:      "Paul Simon" <paul@qdice.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie install experience

Hi all

I was donated an old Dell Optiplex - PentiumI 64MB 2GB. Since I had RH7.1 on a HP PII box and wanted to try something different like Debian, but the installation wasn't clear enough for me to follow. So, I tried FreeBSD. Installing it on the Dell Optiplex was surprisingly smooth. I installed via ftp over ethernet. It was so smooth that I decided to wipe out the RH7.1 on the HP PII box to install FreeBSD. (At the same time, I added a second harddrive!) Well, the install was not so nice:

The ethernet card (Netgear FA310-TX) was not recognized. Consequently, I couldn't install over ethernet like a I did for the above. So, I went down the long road of figuring out that you need better than a limited "Easy CD" on windows in order to burn a bootable ISO image on CD - 5 hour tribulation :). I finally used the demo version of NERO to burn it. Yippee for Nero!!

I now have FreeBSD 4.8 on two boxes. However, the Netgear FA310-TX is still not recognized. Could somebody point me in a direction to begin to trouble shoot this? Should I be posting to another list?

Thanks, Paul

Pida Ya! su eMail Gratis y en Espaņol http://qdice.com