Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:12:51 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual P2

At 04:30 PM 4/21/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> make -j8 buildworld
>..snip..
>>  There shouldn't be a space between the j and the number, BTW.  Or, at
>> least I never put a space there.
>
>Ah, the wonders of getopt():
>
>make: illegal option -- z
>usage: make [-Beiknqrstv] [-D variable] [-d flags] [-f makefile]
>            [-I directory] [-j max_jobs] [-m directory] [-V variable]
>                             ^^^
>or RTFM:
>
> make [-Beiknqrstv] [-D variable] [-d flags] [-f makefile] [-I directory]
>      [-j max_jobs]
>        ^^^
>-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)

Hmm.  Well I'll admit I shoulda RT(F)M, but here's an exerpt from the well
known page
http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html#T
OC-271

(section 5.5)

[snip]
If you are tracking -current you can also pass the -j option to make. This
lets make spawn several simultaneous processes.

This is most useful on true multi-CPU machines. However, since much of the
compiling process is IO bound rather than CPU
bound it is also useful on single CPU machines.

On a typical single-CPU machine you would run

    # make -j4 target

make(1) to have up to 4 processes running at any one time. Empirical
evidence posted to the mailing lists shows this generally
gives the best performance benefit.

If you have a multi-CPU machine and you are using an SMP configured kernel
try values between 6 and 10 and see how they
speed things up.
[/snip]

In this case no space is shown.  This is what I was going by, and has
always seemed to work OK for me.  It is quite likely that it is made to
work either way.

Keep your stick on the ice,

Tom Embt