Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:58:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        kris@FreeBSD.ORG, str@giganda.komkon.org
Cc:        rraykov@sageian.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using sysinstall

> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:00:02 -0800
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
> To: Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
> Cc: kris@FreeBSD.ORG, rraykov@sageian.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: problem using sysinstall
>

> > 2. May be keep such possibilities (multiuser-mode upgrade)
>
> The problem is endemic to what sysinstall is doing. Installing the bin
> distribution overwrites /etc, which resets settings to the
> default. Theres no way to keep your system secure until you go back
> and merge your changes. Thats why you have to make it appropriately
> single-user until you've done that step.
>
> Kris

I wonder if there is a fundamental reason why /etc needs to be
overwritten, or it is just because the sysinstall is doing so.
So, is it possible to specify to sysinstall (as an option)
to put new /etc into some other directory (/var/tmp/etc,
or whatever) from the very beginning ?
Obviously, one needs some files to be update, so they are in sync
with the new version of the OS (e.g. /etc/rc , /etc/rc.network).
But what about the set of the files that are usually left intact during
the "make install" process (passwd, master.passwd, group, aliases, rc.conf,
...) ?

It might be possible to preserve the integrity of the system
without sacrificing its security, if it is well thought of.
I believe it is already done (I mean, the thinking) for "make install".
Then the old files can be updated using "mergemaster", or by
other means.

Quite likely I am missing something in this picture. What ?

Regards,

Igor