Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 18:05:24 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Subject:   NetBSD vs. FreeBSD?

Folks,

	I've been looking a bit more closely into what it would take for
me to be able to make my PCI PowerMacintosh 7200/90 usable with some
*BSD variant.  Theoretically, it's usable today with MkLinux, but we
know that this is a dead-end project, and I'm not interested in
dead-ends.

	I looked, and of course FreeBSD does not currently support
PowerPC.  This leaves NetBSD and OpenBSD.  Looking into them, OpenBSD
has support for the latest round of hardware (most anything after the
iMac), but nothing in beige (and nothing for any of the upgrade
vendors).  NetBSD does support both beige and newer hardware, but not
the 7200/90 (this machine doesn't have OpenBoot Firmware).

	I found a site that has 7200 logic board upgrades available (see
<http://www.micromac.com/products/lb_pm7500_upgrade.html>), and for
about $600 (after the $200 rebate they send you when you send in your
7200 logic board), you can get a machine that should be minimally
usable with NetBSD.

	However, looking a bit more in-depth into NetBSD (even the latest
incarnation), it seems very very rough, and like much earlier
versions of FreeBSD.  I'd almost be tempted to say that NetBSD 1.5 is
probably a lot like FreeBSD 2.2.5 -- in particular, they don't have
any support for SMP (that doesn't result in the box crashing a few
minutes later ;-), and what SMP work is being done is of course
exclusively for x86.

	Is NetBSD really all this bad?  Have I missed something
fundamental?  Is there anyone on this list that's used both recent
versions of NetBSD and FreeBSD on previous generation single CPU
hardware and can give me a reasonably fair comparison and contrast?

	My home needs are not that extraordinary, so even a single CPU
PPC604 chip at 100Mhz would probably be fine (although I'd want to
try to upgrade to a G3 or a G4 when I could), just for a simple
machine to do firewall+squid+caching nameserver+mail downloading
(behind a connect-on-demand ISDN line), and I might even be able to
make it stretch to performing as an externally visible web/ftp/mail
server if I were to go with a permanent ISDN line.

	However, I'd want to make sure that at least at the basic
command-line level, and at the level of building and installing
modern programs like ipfilter, squid, apache, sendmail, postfix, BIND
8 & 9, etc... that the machine would be able to build them without
much trouble, as well as run them reasonably well.

	I guess I'm just a little disconcerted by some of the apparent
rough edges, and not having much experience with NetBSD, I'd like to
hear more from folks that do, especially when it comes to diverging
from "./configure; make; make install".

	Thanks!

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium