Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2012 01:24:50 -0500
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: allscreens extension

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 05:15:20PM +0200, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> On 1/12/2012 10:30 AM, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 07:13:41PM +0200, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using this small addition to etc/rc.d/syscons.
> >> It extends the allscreens functionality with an
> >> allscreens_exclude variable which controls the virtual
> >> terminals that are excluded from running the allscreens
> >> command. I use it mainly to exclude ttyv0 from switching
> >> to raster mode while allscreens are set to raster mode.
> >>
> >> I can file a proper PR if that sounds interesting to the project?
> >>

> > Personally I would believe a proper fix for this would be to add functionality to rc.d to be able to change terminals on a by terminal basis instead of adding an exclude to a variable meant to cover 'ALL' screens.
> >
> > vidcontrol_flags_ttyv0="..."
>
> This is probably better and consistent with the rest of the system,
> but way verbose for my taste.

Agreed. I cant see a real benefit to configuring different console variations on a per-TTY basis. It just does not fall into my usage. Its either configured it its not and using vidcontrol in the same way its used within rc.d/syscons is not hard either.

Configuration remote terminals would be ideal where the box does not have a single local TTY allocated.

--
;s =;