Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2003 04:06:10 +0107 (CEST)
From:      "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <FST777@phreaker.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD knowledge, awarded & learning

hey :)

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, clayton rollins wrote:
> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:40:51 +0000
> To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
> From: "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: BSD knowledge, awarded & learning
>
> About the fear of not pointing and clicking, I get the exact same
> reaction  in regards to the Linux and FreeBSD boxes I have running at
school (and,
> they both have gui's installed; can't handle typing startx, eh?). I've
> told  'em all how to get in, and went so far as to write down a username
and
> passwd for them, but still no takers. (I'd even be happy if they wrecked
> the  install, I just want to expose some people to this OS, which has
> dramatically changed my life. <- not as much of an overstatement as it
> sounds, I've always wanted to do more than play games, and freeBSD gives
> me  every bit of functionality I want.)

using xdm will save them from typing startx. It will prevent you from
working outside of XFree86 (but xterm will come out handy). It's a matter
of taste I guess

> Oh well. While they play the same stupid solitare game, i get to play
> xbill,  and have a C/C++ compiler at my fingertips. (Did I mention, it's
free?!?)

no you didn't :) but I already thought it was ;)

> About learning, it seems that quite a few people don't wait until they
> leave  school. And, as for 'American Culture,' Michael Moore's Bowling
for
> Columbine should be considered required reading here. (Beyond being a
> great  movie, it also brings up a lot of things we'd prefer to not think
about
> our  own culture.)

I'm going to see it tuesday, and I'm looking forward to it (even though I'm
not a part of the American culture).

> Am I OT enough now?

OT? :?

> Anyways, thanks and good luck with your endeavors,
> Clayton

congrats with your award, and good luck with teaching your colleages and
fellow-students. It's hard to teach even young dogs new tricks when it
means to step out of the enviroment (read: Micro$oft rubbish) one is used
to...

---
tcGB <>< Fi-Ji ><>