Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 11:13:28 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jaykuri@oneway.com (Jay Kuri)
Subject:   Re: help: wiring down scsi devices doesn't work

As Jay Kuri wrote:

>     Gotcha...  I was under the impression that the scanner was reporting
> itself as a processor (and this is what the docs for the driver said it
> would do)  but it was really reporting itself as a type 6 (scanner...
> imagine that :)

Btw., if you want to override the assignment of some particular
device, invent a new entry in /sys/scsi/scsiconf.c.  Normally, the
first couple of fields in each record there is identical, meaning a
device of a particular `type' gets assigned to the `type driver' that
it is intended for.  However, you can assign it to a different driver
as well; see the SONY SMO drive for one example that comes to mind (it
is so old that it only reports itself as being `direct access', while
it is actually `optical').

>     I thought that processor target and unknown target had some different
> functionality... It appears that I am wrong in that.

ISTR that processor targets support read and write syscalls, while
uk(4) don't.

--
cheers, J"org