Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:48:21 -0500
From:      Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, dyson@iquest.net, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call to arms..-SMP

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 01:27:49PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> So I don't really understand the _cpl stuff.
> in regards to _cml
>
> I guess that theoretically, the BSDI method (lazy treading)
> makes all that go away  doesn't it?.

Umm.  In general, and not specifically in regard to this problem,
the BSDI method is a good idea, but it's not a silver bullet.  spl's
only exist around data that are shared between the top half of the kernel
and (roughly speaking) device-level (bottom-half) code.  When you have
multiple processors running around the top-half of the kernel, there will
be critical sections between those processors that aren't spl'ized.

Alan