Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:34:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: /var fills up with SQL191e_0.ISD, SQL191e_0.ISM

On 29-Aug-00 Dan Langille wrote:
> Twice, in the past 24 hours, one of my webservers has filled up on /var.
> When I check /var/tmp, I see lots of these (ignore the owner/group, I've
> since changed that):
>
> -rw-rw----  1 dan  dan  2097152 Aug 29 19:44 SQL17ac_0.ISD
> -rw-rw----  1 dan  dan     1024 Aug 29 19:00 SQL17ac_0.ISM
> -rw-rw----  1 dan  dan  1966080 Aug 29 19:45 SQL17ae_0.ISD
> -rw-rw----  1 dan  dan     1024 Aug 29 19:01 SQL17ae_0.ISM
> -rw-rw----  1 dan  dan  1572864 Aug 29 19:44 SQL17b0_0.ISD
> -rw-rw----  1 dan  dan     1024 Aug 29 19:01 SQL17b0_0.ISM
> -rw-rw----  1 dan  dan  1441792 Aug 29 19:44 SQL17b2_0.ISD
> -rw-rw----  1 dan  dan     1024 Aug 29 19:01 SQL17b2_0.ISM
>
> In all, there are 70 such files.  Most of the .ISD have size zero.  Many of
> the .ISM are 1024 but a few are large like the above.
>
> What are these files?  Why are they being created?

These look like temporary mysql files, is your mysql server crashing on a
particular query ?

check /var/db/mysql/*.err (default, your data-dir may be elsewhere).

Regards,
--
Don Read                                         dread@texas.net
--- The problem with people who have no vices is that you can be