Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 05:01:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hans@brandinnovators.com
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

 * Well, it's a nice field, yes.  Editable I'm not so sure about. :-)
 * We need some way of doing this from scripts and other utilities,
 * and I guess that's the next step.

I thought the whole point of enforcing a strict syntax to rc.conf (one
variable per line, comments in the same line after the `var="value"'
pair, etc.) was to make it easily editable from scripts.

At least it's not much less auto-editable than the proposed
/etc/ld.so.config, considering that they need to delete lines when the
user deinstalls the package....

One can even argue that it is just as easy because if they want to be
really lazy (i.e., don't even want to use ed/sed/awk), they can just
do something like

echo "local_startup="${local_startup} /usr/dt/lib # CDE, do not touch" \
  >> /etc/rc.conf

during installation and

mv /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.tmp
grep -v '^local_startup=${local_startup} /usr/dt/lib # CDE, do not touch$' \
  /etc/rc.conf.tmp > /etc/rc.conf
rm /etc/rc.conf.tmp

for deinstallation.

 * But yes, you're right - it wouldn't take a lot of work to make /usr/dt
 * conformant.

Glad you agree. :)

Satoshi