Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 01:59:53 -0600
From:      Jeremy Kam <jnkam@home.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ftpd problems when using tcpwrappers.

Please reply to jnkam@home.com

Hello,

I'm have setup tcpwrappers on this machine, and it is working correctly for
all inetd daemons except for the ftpd.  When a user attempts to login to the
ftp they aren't asked to supply a name or password, and when you try to use
any ftp commands, such as ls, it tells you "Not connected."  If you try to
login using 'user', it tells you "Not connected."  The following documents
this sequence, with the name of the server removed for security purposes:

% ftp <server>
Connected to <server>.
This ftp request has been logged.
ftp> ls
Not connected.
ftp> user
Not connected.
ftp>

If I try to open <server> at the ftp> prompt I get the same sequence of
events, and never am able to login.  If I setup the ftp to be non-wrapped
this problem does not occur.  However, a non-wrapped server does not provide
the information I want to know, such was when a user logs in and where from.
A non-wrapped version also prevents me from denying hosts.

The following is how the ftpd appears in my inetd.conf:

#ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/tcpd ftpd -l

The top line is the non-wrapped which works correctly.  The second line is
the wrapped which causes the sequence listed above.

The wrappers DO work with all other daemons, just not with the ftpd.  I have
also tried another ftpd from the ports with the same results.  If you can
help me please e-mail me at jnkam@home.com instead of posting to the list.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy Kam