Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:51:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and troubles with TCP

--- Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net> wrote:
> [Note: Cc list trimmed; cross-posting not recommended; please
>        watch these things.]
>
> Rostislav Krasny wrote:
>
> | Maybe PPPoE implementation in FreeBSD have a bug?
>
> The data you have provided is inadequate.  The following
> /etc/ppp.conf (edited to hide passwords, etc) works with the
> version of ppp that has been out since March with an Alcatel
> Speed Touch Home ADSL modem on the web sites you had trouble
> with:
>
>  set device PPPoE:xl0
>  set authname foo
>  set authkey bar
>  set speed sync
>  enable lqr
>  set cd 5
>  set dial
>  set login
>  set redial 0 0
>  set ifaddr 987.654.321.0 0.0.0.0/0
>  add default HISADDR
>  set timeout 0
>
> Note that it does not specify anything for MRU and MTU as these
> are both handled automatically by ppp now.
>
> Greg

Edited to hide 'authname' and 'authkey' only? What about 'set ifaddr'
line? Did you use this version of /etc/ppp/ppp.conf by yourself?
In my system it produce the following error message:

Working in background mode
Using interface: tun0
Warning: ncprange_aton: 987.654.321.0: Bad address
Warning: set ifaddr: Failed 1
Child failed (errdead)

Ok, after I fixed the problem with 'set ifaddr' I have exactly the same
connection like I had before. You're right, MTU and MRU are both
handled automatically but what the difference it makes in my case?
I still cannot browse http://www.ssh.com/  Can you?
Or could you do some simple test? Just run 'telnet www.ssh.com 80'
and when you're connected enter this HTTP request:

===== HTTP request =====
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.ssh.com
Connection: close

===== HTTP request =====

In the end of 3rd line press Enter twice. Do you get any answer?
I don't. If you get something, maybe you use proxy or your ISP
(Internet Service Provider) have transparent proxy?
Anyway, how could you explain that with MTU == MRU == 1484
I have no problem with www.ssh.com ? How could you explain that
RASPPPOE works good with MTU == 1492 in Win98SE in the same system
and with the same ADSL modem?