Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:36:40 -0700
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@north-winds.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB Flash Drive Permissions

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

I would like to setup my USB flash drive to have special permissions
when I plug it into my desktop.  Specifically, I would like it to be
owned by my user so I can user mount the msdos fs on it.  I added an
entry to /etc/devfs.conf for the device it was creating, but the
permissions did not get applied when I plugged my drive in.  After some
research, it appears that devfs.conf only gets applied on boot by
/etc/rc.d/devfs so I took a look at devd.  I catted the pipe of devd and
saw my device attach as umass0 with a serial number that would be ideal
to match on (I'd prefer that it only match on my personal flash drive,)
however, I did not see any information on the device file it created,
da0s1, when I need to modify the permissions on.  How can I determine
automatically where umass0 created it's disk device file?
--=20
Loren M. Lang
lorenl@north-winds.org
http://www.north-winds.org/

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B
=20

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--