Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:42:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what do you allow in recent time to present to public or thegorystories of failed ... everything

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de> [000816 15:18] wrote:
> >

> > ^G Get Help  ^X Send      ^R Read File ^Y Prev Pg   ^K Cut Text  ^O
> > Postpone bash-2.03# cd ../../usr.sbin/config/
> > bash-2.03# make depend all install clean
> > install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   config /usr/sbin
> > install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 config.8.gz  /usr/share/man/man8
> > rm -f config config.o main.o lang.o mkioconf.o mkmakefile.o mkheaders.o
> > mkoptions.o config.8.gz config.8.cat.gz lang.c config.c y.tab.c y.tab.h
> > bash-2.03# cd ../../sys/i386/conf
> > bash-2.03# config ZHESTIANKAKER5
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found
> > 4 ports are failed to install themself
> > failed instalation of RELEASE
> > 3 questions in this connection:
> > 1)What is going on ?
> > 2)How is the whole crap to bring in orderly condition
> > 3)What is so wrong with idea of having different branches of
> >   ports ?
> > 4) Why do you think that therapy by senseless activity must be  succesful
> >    ?
>
> config is linking to the libc in your /usr/obj directory, I would
> remove the /usr/obj directory then recompile config.
>
> -Alfred

  Find 3 differences between sample output some rows above and this one :

  bash-2.03# pwd
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf
bash-2.03# config ZHESTIANKAKER5
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found
bash-2.03#
Unable ?

Same goes me.The difference is here,though.The later is made
after removing /usr/obj and why did I do it follows it somehow from
UPDATING ?No, it does not follows . I did it because you have advised it.
Now the question:What is so wrong on the idea to first try what you intend
to advise whether it works and then advise?

Some common words are imho suitable here.You know after all operating
system is just automaton implemented in software and defined by all
possible variables and transitions.Now if it is not possible to transit
from one well-defined condition 3.4 to another( hopefully)well-defined
condition rigidly  using transition function(UPGRADING)then there are
just 2 explanations : 1)transition function is poorly defined
2)the condition to tranfer to is impossible in both cases
blmae is with implementors (i.e. you .you as those who name themselves
proudly core development team .Reasons to be proud are vanishing.)

Regards.