Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:06:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Uncle Flatline <flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        robl@phoebe.accinet.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliance statement?

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> To be honest, I can't remember an OS (and i'm sure someone is about to
> correct me) that WASNT Year 2K compliant.

Just curious: How did MS-DOS store it's date?

Personally, I always liked the DECsystem-10's date scheme -- Day 0 was
something like November 17, 1858, which was supposedly chosen because several
planets were in alignment that day, and there were a set of photographic
plates taken that day. I think they called it Smithsonian Astronomical Date
Time.  That and a 36-bit word size made for some interesting moments.  7-bit
ASCII: 5 bytes to a word and "a little bit left over"  ;-)

We now return to your regularly scheduled discussion, already in progress.
--
 Kevin Cole      <Flatline>    |  E-mail:  flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu
 Gallaudet Research Institute  |  WWW:     http://pchb1f.gallaudet.edu/