Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:32:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: /home/smp/sys/kern init_smp.c

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Doug Rabson wrote:

> I did rerun config and not with the -n flag either so I got a completely
> fresh compile directory.  I have a P6 system but I don't think that makes
> much difference since Steve has reported success with a P6 system.
>
> I will try again today.  I am sure I have done something stupid.

My problem appeared to be with the kernel config file that I was using.  I
hacked a new one from GENERIC and got a lot further.  Now I get through
the device probes and I can hear the machine start booting into multiuser
mode but I can't see anything.  Nothing is printed after the last device
probe.  The machine hangs later on when it is trying to start mpd.  If I
break into DDB, all the boot messages appear in a lump;  sounds like some
kind of wierd interrupt problem to me.

Kernel config is:

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
# For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
# Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
# The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
# latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
# <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/>;
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
#	$Id: GENERIC,v 1.90 1997/04/14 00:35:20 gibbs Exp $

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I386_CPU"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
cpu		"I686_CPU"
ident		GENERIC
maxusers	10

options		MATH_EMULATE		#Support for x87 emulation
options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options		SCSI_DELAY=15		#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options		FAILSAFE		#Be conservative
options		USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
options		VISUAL_USERCONFIG	#visual boot -c editor
options		DDB
options		UKKEYMAP
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG
options		AHC_TAGENABLE
options		KTRACE
options		"CONSPEED=(115200)"

# SMP kernel config file options:

options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
options         NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
options         NBUS=2                  # number of busses
options         NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
options         NINTR=24                # number of INTs
options         SMP_INVLTLB             #
#options                SMP_PRIVPAGES           # BROKEN, DO NOT use!
#options                SMP_AUTOSTART           # BROKEN, DO NOT use!
#options                SERIAL_DEBUG            # com port debug output

options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
					# dropped packets
options		"IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100" #limit verbosity
options		IPDIVERT		#divert sockets

config		kernel	root on wd0

controller	isa0
controller	eisa0
controller	pci0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc, amd) is
# sufficient for any number of installed devices.
controller	ahc0

controller	scbus0

device		sd0

device		od0	#See LINT for possible `od' options.

device		st0

device		cd0	#Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device		vt0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
#options		PCVT_FREEBSD=210	# pcvt running on FreeBSD >= 2.0.5
#options		XSERVER			# include code for XFree86
#options		FAT_CURSOR		# start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT lines
#options		PCVT_SCANSET=2		# IBM keyboards are non-std

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

#
# Laptop support (see LINT for more options)
#
device		apm0    at isa?	disable	flags 0x31 # Advanced Power Management

device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device		sio2	at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
device		sio3	at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device		lpt1	at isa? port? tty
device		mse0	at isa? port 0x23c tty irq 5 vector mseintr

device		psm0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.
device de0
device fxp0
device vx0

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	sl	1
# ijppp uses tun instead of ppp device
#pseudo-device	ppp	1
pseudo-device	tun	1
pseudo-device	pty	16
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device	bpfilter 4

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com