Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2007 20:40:07 GMT
From:      Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/115054: NTP errors out on startup but restart of NTP fixes problem

The following reply was made to PR i386/115054; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To: =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc: Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>,
        "Chauncey N. Menefee" <cmenefee@prism-grp.com>,
        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-i386@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: i386/115054: NTP errors out on startup but restart of NTP fixes
 problem
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 06:31:29 +1000 (EST)

 --0-1897146363-1186000289=:76862

 On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, [utf-8] Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:

 > Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au> writes:
 >> Several versions of FreeBSD have annoying behaviouor for network
 >> startup, involving the network not actually being up when ifconfig
 >> returns and subsequent different mishandling of this by various
 >> utilities.  [...]
 >> This problem seems to get worse with each release of FreeBSD and/or
 >> with newer NICs.  I never noticed fxp or even ed or rl NICs.  Now it
 >> is barely noticeable with fxp and very noticeable with sk, bge and em
 >> NICs.
 >
 > I have never seen this with any of the cards I've used (xl, fxp, rl, re,
 > sis, bge, sk, msk and probably others, in no particular order).
 >
 > Perhaps there is a hardware issue involved?  Does the problem occur if
 > you hardcode the link speed instead of relying on autonegotiation?

 No difference.  I thought it might be the cheap switch, but going
 direct makes no difference except to break hard-coding the link speed
 for bge.  Thie followings is with bge (1Gbps capable but reduced to
 100baseTX full-duplex by autonegotiation) under -current, connected
 to fxp (100baseTX full-duplex by autonegotiation or hard-coded) under
 FreeBSD-~5.2:

 %%%
 ttyv0:root@besplex:~> ifconfig bge0 down; time ifconfig bge0 up; time ping =
 -c1
 delplex; time route get delplex; time route get delplex

          0.48 real         0.00 user         0.47 sys
 PING delplex.bde.org (192.168.2.4): 56 data bytes
 Aug  2 05:57:49 besplex kernel: bge0: link state changed to DOWN
 Aug  2 05:57:51 besplex kernel: bge0: link state changed to UP

 --- delplex.bde.org ping statistics ---
         11.01 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys
     route to: delplex
 destination: delplex
    interface: bge0
        flags: <UP,HOST,DONE,LLINFO,WASCLONED>
   recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     e=
 xpire
         0         0         0         0         0         0      1500      =
 1191
          0.00 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys
     route to: delplex
 destination: delplex
    interface: bge0
        flags: <UP,HOST,DONE,LLINFO,WASCLONED>
   recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     e=
 xpire
         0         0         0         0         0         0      1500      =
 1191
          0.00 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys
 %%%

 -current gives the differences that:
 o ifconfig returns after 0.48 seconds instead of after 2+ seconds.  The
    "link state changed to UP" message still takes 2+ seconds altogether.
 o The message is now printed to a different unwanted place (using tprintf()
    I think, instead of using printf(), but I want it in stderr).  The above
    output was captured using vidcontrol.
 o The timestamps on the messages made by syslogd are almost precise enough
    to show the 2 second delay.
 o ping still returns after 11+ seconds, but now it starts about 1.5 seconds
    earlier relative to the UP message, so the 11 seconds may be just ping's
    timeout and not related to UPness.

 %%%
 ttyv0:root@besplex:~> ifconfig bge0 down; time ifconfig bge0 up; time route=
  get
   delplex; time route get delplex
          0.48 real         0.00 user         0.47 sys
     route to: delplex
 Aug  2 05:58:25 besplex kernel: bge0: link state changed to DOWN
 Aug  2 05:58:27 besplex kernel: bge0: link state changed to UP
 destination: 192.168.2.0
         mask: 255.255.255.0
    interface: bge0
        flags: <UP,DONE,CLONING>
   recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     e=
 xpire
         0         0         0         0         0         0      1500      =
   -7
          5.26 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys
     route to: delplex
 destination: delplex
    interface: bge0
        flags: <UP,HOST,DONE,LLINFO,WASCLONED>
   recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     e=
 xpire
         0         0         0         0         0         0      1500      =
 1196
          0.00 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys
 %%%

 The first "route get" still returns after 5+ seconds, but now it starts
 about 1.5 seconds earlier relative to the UP message, so the 5 seconds
 may be just route's timeout and not related to UPness.

 The -current bge driver is acting identically to the ~5.2 bge driver.
 Userland is ~5.2 all tests.  One reason I didn't report this earlier is
 that it might be due to the ~5.2 userland and I don't have time to test
 with a full -current userland, but ifconfig and route(8) seem to be portabl=
 enough to mostly work with both kernels.  route(8) has a known problem
 concerning the base for the expire time (it was broken for a long time
 in -current due to the change to mono-time, but this causes few problems).

 Bruce
 --0-1897146363-1186000289=:76862--