Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:25:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jacob DeGlopper <jacob@mayhem.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI/CAM errors with Yamaha CRW6416sz CD-RW and NCR 815 card

I am running FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE.  I have recently acquired a Yamaha
CRZ6416sz SCSI CD-RW drive.  I have an existing SCSI chain with a
NCR 815 card, Seagate disk, and HP DAT drive; all those have been
working fine.

When booting the system with the new drive installed, I get some errors,
and then the system halts.  Running a kernel without the SCSI cd device
configured gets the CD-ROM recognized by the pass driver without errors.

I have double-checked the terminator, and tried other SCSI ids with no
change.  The drive appears to work fine in Windows.  I have also tried
adjusting the SCSI_DELAY timeout up to 20 seconds with no change.

The specific errors I get are:

cd0:ncr0:0:2:0: got CAM status 0x4a
fatal error, failed to attach to device (cd0:ncr0:0:2:0) removing device
entry

then, I get the message

ncr0: timeout nccb=<something> (skip)

I've also tried the drive in another FreeBSD system with an NCR 875 card,
and it failed with the same messages, as did booting with the 3.3 boot
disks.

I haven't found anything very promising in the archives related to these
NCR timeout problems; does anyone have any ideas, or do I have to
go out and get a more expensive SCSI card?

--
Jacob DeGlopper, FF/EMT-B, N3RHI
jacob@mayhem.com