Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:56:48 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Task for -doc newbie / XML'ing LINT. . .

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 09:43:42AM -0400, Thomas M. Sommers wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
> >
> >         <device>
> >           <type>NIC</type>
> >           <name>fxp</name>
> >           <descr>EtherExpress Pro/10, Pro/100B, Pro/100+ Fast Ethernet
> >             adapters, based on the Intel i82557 or i82559
> >             chipsets.</descr>
> >         </device>
>
> How about something like:
>
>         <device>
>           <type>NIC</type>
>           <name>fxp</name>
>           <descr>EtherExpress Pro/10, Pro/100B, Pro/100+ Fast Ethernet
>             adapters, based on the Intel i82557 or i82559
>             chipsets.</descr>
> 	  <item>EtherExpress Pro/10</item>
>           <item>EtherExpress Pro/100B</item>
>           [ etc. ]
>         </device>
>
> I would think this would make it easier to search for a particular piece
> of hardware and to create lists of supported hardware.

Something like this is definatly needed for devices with PCCARD
attachments.  I counted 37 ed entries in /etc/default/pccard.conf and 8
ep entries.  Another thing to consider might be some way of saying, "XXX
and YYY, but not YYYb."  That's actually happened to the vx driver.  It
works with a couple models of the 3C905, but the 3C905b removed the
backwords compatability layer used by vx, causing Bill Paul to have to
write the xl driver.

One other issue with the initial set of tags.  Some devices already have
multiple bus attachments (vx) for instance.  More will just as soon as
we get card bus support as a number of PCI chipsets have cardbus
variants including fxp and at least one of the Adaptech scsi controlers.

All in all, I like the idea though it would definatly need a webbased
submission system.  The sheer number of NE2000 clones alone would swamp
us otherwise. ;-)

-- Brooks