Date:      Wed, 24 May 95 09:29:54 CDT
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        sassan@locus.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NIS/YP

Sassan,

I am no expert in this area, but I've done some digging.  I think
the login is doing a getpwent() call which is using NIS, but there
is a segmentation fault somewhere in that call which causes a core
dump.

I get core files for login, su, & ls when any of these programs
need to reference the NIS maps.

At first I thought I was because I had not installed 4/12 SNAP
correctly and still had a mixed bag of R2.0 and SNAP code on the
systems.  Well I reinstalled everything, taking no shortcuts, and
still have the same problems.

I figure most of the experts are busy with getting 2.0.5 out the
door.  Someone must have this stuff working so my guess is I'm
doing something silly when setting it up.  I plan on getting the
2.0.5 release and setting aside enough disk space so I can
debug this one myself.  I gotta pry that extra 400M disk off
my wife's MS-DOS machine ;).

I'll let you know if I have any luck.  I posted this back to the
questions list so anyone with more info can respond.

Derek
laufen@sol.med.ge.com