Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:57:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Niels Provos <provos@citi.umich.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG, provos@OpenBSD.org
Subject:   Re: non-random IP IDs

:No reasoning.  You do not need the htons().  The fragment ids just
:need to be unique.  An htons() does not change that property.  I dont
:like that code very much.  A variable-block-size cipher in counter
:mode would do the job better.
:
:However, what many ppl do not realize is that you can use predictable
:ip ids to anonymously port scan machines.  Bugtraq talks about how to
:do that.
:
:Niels.

    It's not worth doing.  We would be introducing unnecessary cpu burn on
    every single packet we sent out, all to solve a problem that doesn't
    really exist.  Most people doing port scans don't care whether they
    are anonymous or not, anyway.  They just do the scans.  Also, port
    scanning software has gotten a whole lot more sophisticated these
    days... usually people want to portscan a whole bunch (thousands) of
    machines all at once, but to prevent detection the newer programs
    randomize the port and host being tested on a per-packet basis so
    any given 'victim' doesn't actually see all that much traffic.

					-Matt