Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:29:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        danderse@cs.utah.edu (David G. Andersen)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs), Goran.Lowkrantz@infologigruppen.se (Lowkrantz Goran), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG ('freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG')
Subject:   Re: Securelevel 3 ant setting time

> "Maybe".  (Probably?)
>
> When ntpdate sees a small time delta (less than 1/2 second off), it
> will use the adjtime() call to slew the clock time, which is
> permitted.  However, if the delta is large for some reason, then it
> will go in and use the sledgehammer approach - settimeofday().
>
> >From the ntpdate manpage:
>
>      The latter technique is less disruptive and
>      more accurate when the offset is small, and works quite well when ntpdate
>      is run by cron(8) every hour or two.
>
> So, you'll probably be OK doing it that way, *but* if you get too far
> off during the time period, then you won't be able to correct for it.

You can compile ntp/xntpd with the -DSLEWALWAYS option and it will work
for you.  I had to go grep the source to make sure that ntpdate obeyed
this and it does:
ntpdate/ntpdate.c:#ifdef SLEWALWAYS
ntpdate/ntpdate.c:#else /* SLEWALWAYS  */
ntpdate/ntpdate.c:#endif        /* SLEWALWAYS */

Though a quick reading of the code shows that it does not remove
-b as a valid option, and from a quick lookover this should probably
just be a runtime option instead of a compile time option....

Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net