Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 12:54:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        kline@tera.tera.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, kline@thought.org
Subject:   Re: gcc quandry

According to Wes Peters:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >         One solution would be up upgrade to gcc 2.8.X, but
> >         the note about this latest rev being buggy have
> >         me a bit concerned.... esp'ly since I frequency
> >         mod my kernel.
> >
> >         Has anybody seen significant bugs with the latest
> >         gcc?
>
> No, but there are some caveats.  The exception code in 2.8.1 still isn't
> world-class, though it is better than 2.7.x by a long shot.  Also, you
> didn't mention if you tried to compile the code without optimization,
> etc.

	Hm.  In fact I did both optimized and non-opt'd on my P90.
	-g and non -g.  Because the code isn't exactly the same
	on the Sun (no SoundBlaster on the Sparc)  I can't be
	100%; only about 97%.

> Since you can install gcc-2.8.x in /usr/local and not conflict with the
> standard compiler or any other installation, you have little to lose
> (other than a few megs of disk space) in trying the newer compiler.

	I was wondering about this.  It's been a couple years since
	I ported//installed gcc by hand so I am wondering what
	dependencies there are.  If I install gcc-2.8.1 in /usr/local,
	will there be conflicts with the gcc headers?   I suppose if
	I run into hassles I can restore this from tape;  but better
	to ask beforre jumping :-)

> You may want to try 'egcs' as well, although it looks like the 1.1.x
> releases are going to be much better on FreeBSD.

	I'm looking forward to checking out all the new tools ...

	thanks for your help,

	gary