Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:50:05 +0300
From:      Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
To:        gary.jennejohn@freenet.de
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2-STABLE: swap on ZFS v13

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Gary
Jennejohn<gary.jennejohn@freenet.de> wrote:
>> Is there anybody else who tried 7-STABLE/amd64 with swap on ZFS v13? Does it work or not?
>>

> I doubt that you can generate a crash dump using ZFS as swap, especially
> if you have compression enabled.
>
> But I might be wrong.
>
> Does anyone know?

If this is true and this is the only serious limitation of using a
zvol as swap, I could very well see myself moving to using it for swap
in the near future (as it would lead to a lot cleaner filesystem
layouts on multidisk systems utilizing zfs). If by any odd chance, I
do run into a reproducible system crash I have to debug, I could just
attach an USB stick and temporarily move the swap to that.

- Dan Naumov