Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 08:05:39 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug: is it the kernel or the man page?

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> >   This is mentioned in great detail in the fcntl man page.
>
> But not on the close man page.

Right.  The close man page only speaks about locks obtained by flock()
at all.  It's probably simply that the fcntl() locking has been added
much later in the game, with the only idea behind that it's mandated
by Posix.

> PS: I specifically stated "record".

I've missed this.

> PPS: The "in great detail" glowingly shouts the merits of flock(2) over
> fcntl(2), while omitting the fact that that it is whole file rather than
> the more useful record size locks, ...

Maybe.  But it rather looks the authors would have been way happier to
provide record locking without the Posix braindeadness.

> PPPS: The F_POSIX should be F_LOCKF; the flag is used to indicate the
> system call entry it came in on, not the semantic tagging.

I don't care much for this detail.

> PPPPS: There should be an F_NONPOSIX to again seperate the name space
> so the flag could be set to avoid the behaviour;

You mean, record locking without the Posix braindeadness?

If so, invent something new.  Don't do it with fcntl() F_SETLK, or it
will confuse the heck out of the people.

>   You fix the man page.

There are other people capable of fixing man pages as well.  I think
the only change by now should be to add a hint to fcntl-style locking
to close(2).

--
cheers, J"org