Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:23:38 -0200
From:      Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   high performance server design approach

Hi list members,

i would like to be an http server for static content only. Due to this
requirement, the server should be really simple to code. But another
requirement is that i would like to best possible performance. I would like
to have  minimal context switches and have a single process serving as many
connections as possible, i feel like going for kqueue.

On a single processor system, no secret. But on a SMP system the history is
different. I would like to have a http process per core. The question is
which decision to make:

0) To have a single process "accepting" incoming connection on port 80 and
send the new socket fd to one of the http server in a round-roubin manner,
or
1) Have a httpd server started. Have it performed socket, bind, listen.
Then it forks n-1 childs and after forking the child, everyprocess (parent
and childs) do "accept" on the socket fd listening for incoming
connections. The concern here is about the kernel awaking up policy in
terms of performance, i.e., awaking up more than one process when a new
connection is ready to be accept (only one process will have it and the
other will be put to sleep again).

The first approach leads to n+1 process. The second to exactly n process.

The code (only relevant part) for the second approach would be something
like:

sd = socket;
bind(sd ...);
listen;

while (n) {
       p = fork();
       if (!p) break;  /* we are a child */
       if (p == -1)  break; /* we are the parent, error */
}

nc = accept(sd ...);

What you have to say ?

Thanks a lot for your time and cooperation.