Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 15:25:10 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Dmitry A. Novoselov" <dan837@cclib.nsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ftp daemons and cvsuping ports collection

hi!

i actually a little curious about ftp daemon on my brand-new fbsd
instalation. what it is? i've heard of wu-ftpd, proftpd, ncftpd and
others - how are they different from standart ftp daemon? why should i
transfer to one of those (or maybe i should not?) what are advantages and
drawbacks of such upgrade? will i gain any speed/security benefits?

secondly, i'm willing to cvsup my 3.3-rel to 3.4-stable. my vision of
things is like this:

there is so-called 'system part of distrib /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin'
plus system sources in /sys -> /usr/src/sys. when i cvsup system only, i
got this source directory tree updated, then i make buildworld, and i got
all system staff and utils (maybe even ls ;-) compiled, hence bin and
sbin in both / and /usr get updated. /usr/local/bin left untouched. is
this correct?

after saying installworld, some boot-related things get changed. what
exactly happens?

now the ports thing: first, some terminology: port-tree is only what i get
when saying "install all ports" in /stand/sysinstall. is this so? and if
i actually want _all port source_ which is lot of megabytes reside on my
computer, what should i do? and is it true that there is no way to fetch
all ports (i mean, all that huge source code tarballs) during install (the
very first time /stand/sysinstall)?

that's why to have cvsup, right? cvsuping ports collection - will it
update only my ports-tree? or it will download the huge /ports/distfiles
thing? if so, when cvsuping ports for the first time should take extremely
long time, and all the consequential cvsuping will take much less?

please excuse my bad english.

waiting for your replyes.....