Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:59:33 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird quota

On 25 Feb 1999 05:59:21 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

># Check the quotas (must be after ypbind if
>using NIS)[ "X${check_quotas}" = X"YES" ]; then
>	echo -n 'checking quotas:'
>	/usr/sbin/quotacheck -a
>	echo ' done.'
>	/usr/sbin/quotaon -a

The other thing I am not entirely clear on with quotas, is can I do a
quotacheck on a live machine ? The man pages say

	Quotacheck accesses the raw device in calculating
	the actual disk usage for each user.  Thus,
	the filesystems checked should be quiescent while
	quotacheck is running.

Should be, or *must* be ?

i.e. can I safely do

quotaoff -a
quotacheck -a
quotaon -a

or can I just do a quotacheck to fix the inconsistancies ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada