Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 20:21:47 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John <jpapalia@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8->3.2 woes

You can't use 'make world' to upgrade from 2.2.x to 3.x.  You should
probably back up your data and reinstall, as the build-process
bootstrap ('make upgrade') has probably rotted by now.

> Hey all...
>
> Somethign tells me this problem has been asked before, and my apolgies if
> it has - my searches of the archives turned up nothing.
>
> I cvsup'ped from 2.2.8 to 3.x stable, and attempted to make buildworld, as
> well as about 15 other different make statements.  This is what's stopping
> my build.  Any ideas? If more info is needed, please advise.  This occurs
> in the "Rebuilding bootstrap libraries" section of the build.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtbegin.c:32: section attributes are not
> supported for
>  this target^M
> /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtbegin.c:33: section attributes are not
> supported for
>  this target^M
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:^M
> {standard input}:68: Error: Unknown pseudo-op:  `.section'^M
> *** Error code 1^M
> ^M
> Stop.^M

\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
\\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com