Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:54:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jerry Murdock <jerry_murdock@yahoo.com>
To:        Brett Cates <bcates513@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba and winbind on FreeBSD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Cates" <bcates513@hotmail.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 11:43 AM
Subject: Samba and winbind on FreeBSD

>   I'm having a little trouble with Samba using winbind to authenticate users
> off an NT Domain.  All the instructions I have seen are Linux specific and I
> tried searching the archives and found one reference that said something
> about NSS but that was it.  Also tried google, but didn't come up with
> anything solid. I found the port for NSS and installed it, but still can't
> get it to work.  Has anyone got winbind up and working on FreeBSD, and if so
> can you give me some tips.  I'm stumped =P

The winbindd daemon works well under FreeBSD, as does pam_winbind and squid's
winbind authentication.  I'm making extensive use of it for both these
functions.

What doesn't work is libnss_winbind for auto-magic unix user/group accounts.

The security/nss (Network Security Services) port is not the same as the Name
Service Switch functionality that libnss_winbind  needs.  FBSD's nss support is
virtually non-existent.

Jacques Vidrine has started work on nss
(http://www.nectar.cc/zope/freebsd/nsswitch) support, but had to set it aside.

Jerry