Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:38:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soundcard recommendations

> How do,
>
> I'm shortly going to have some money to burn, and I'm looking at getting a
> soundcard.
>
> What would people recommend? I plan on using it mostly as part of my home
> answerphone setup (courtesy Amancio's page), but I'll also be putting my
> CD Audio (and BT848 TV card) output through it.

my personal suggestion is for cards based on the CS4237 (e.g. A/Open
AW35) or Yamaha OPL/SAx chipsets. Both are reasonably cheap and work
very well with the "pcm" driver in full duplex. If you are really
unable to find them, cards using the  OPTI931 can do the job (lower
quality, lower price).

I'd avoid ESS and CreativeLabs (SB16 etc.) stuff: the former are
not well supported by freebsd driver although there is documentation
around.  The latter are more expensive than anything else, have a
very bad internal architecture and no (decent) documentation
available.

	cheers
	luigi