Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:09:50 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        "Drew J. Weaver" <drew.weaver@thenap.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to change time/date

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 11:09:13AM -0400, Drew J. Weaver thus
sprach:

>  Whenever i try to change the time/date on my FreeBSD 4.2 server
> I get the error that says Kernel: time changed clamped to -1
> seconds. I have absolutely no idea what is going on, I tried it in
> both single and multi-user mode. The command I am using is this

> date 200106141030.01

> Is this wrong?

Sounds like you are at security level 2 or greater.  Check your
rc.conf file.  If at 2, reboot into single user, edit rc.conf,
reboot to multiple user.

Security level 2 and 3 restrict time changes to less than 1 second.

Your message is the exact message documented in init(8)

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com