Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:46:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/audio/kdemultimedia11 Makefile [...]

<<On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 10:22:06 -0400 (AST), The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> said:

> I've got a question here...how does one upgrade kde properly from ports?

Actually, the ports/packages system does not usefully deal with
upgrades AT ALL.  It should only take a few hours of Perl hacking to
come up with a small program (call it pkg_upgrade) which would perform
the following functions:

1) Before building a port, look at /var/db/pkg and pkg/UPGRADE to
figure out if a previous version of the port is installed.  If one is,
use some method encoded in pkg/UPGRADE to figure out whether the
existing version of the port can be upgraded.  If not, tell the user
that he has to remove and reinstall the port and everything that
depends on it.

2) After building a port, but before installing it, run the upgrade
script to perform any necessary setup which requires the old version
(e.g., dumping databases).

3) After installation, run the upgrade script one more time to finish
the process.  If it succeeds, move the +REQUIRED_BY file to its new
home.  (There doesn't seem to be any +REQUIRES, which makes me wonder
how pkg_delete finds the +REQUIRED_BY files to edit them itself.)

I almost did this a few days ago, but didn't remain sufficiently
irritated for long enough to finish it.

-GAWollman