Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 12:55:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        Kevin_Rooney@sw.cc.va.us (Kevin Rooney)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRCU2 and rc.local

Kevin Rooney wrote:
> It seems the IRCU2 server will only start with setuid someone other than
> root.  How do I write rc.local to automatically change the user who starts
> it at startup time?

Two ways:
	su username -c "command to be executed by shell"
or
	make ircu2 suid to the user in question. As root, do:
		chown username.usergroup name-of-executable
		chmod u+s name-of-executable.

The latter method may break things, and introduce unanticipated problems,
especially relating to security. Try the first method, and see how it works.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net