Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 12:31:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        coredump@nervosa.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> There is a (rather steep) version of MFC for Unix, Wind/U from Bristol
> Technologies.

According to the Willows people, Bristol paid a rather steep license for
the Windows source code, and MS isn't interested in bringing any new
competition in this area.  Therefore, any version of MFC to go with TWIN
would have to be a free rewrite, since MS refuses to license to Willows.
As an aside, the people at Byte and InfoWorld were impressed with the
port of PowerBuilder to Sun, which used Wind/U and apparently looks like
Motif but has the same functionality (and source code!) as the Windows
version.  Interestingly, TWIN looks like Windows, but I count that as an
ADVANTAGE, since it a) doesn't require a Motif license, b) is faster and
smaller than Motif, c) Unix doesn't have a common look and feel
anyway (unlike the Mac), and d) What was Motif originally but a cheap
knockoff of HP VUE and OS/2 Presentation Manager?  :-)

> > begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT
> [something unix mail reader have to cope in the near future]
> [...]

Arggh!!! Didn't realize I was emitting nasty MS attachments to my mail!
I was wondering what that crap was when I got a mail invitation to be an
NT beta tester...  Next thing you know we'll be back to the dark ages of:

=======  RFC 822 headers  ======
(remember VMS?)

---Jake